Thursday, July 5, 2012

My First 10k

In Lexington, the big event on the 4th of July isn't the fireworks at 10pm, it's the 10 km race at 7:30am.  It's called the Bluegrass 10,000, and 3,015 participants finished yesterday.  I came in 2,070th overall.

I had American Flag shorts on, too!
I didn't finish in a blazing time, but I was so proud just to cross the finish line without walking at any point. I ran it significantly faster than I thought I'd be able to, with an 11-minute mile pace.  Keep in mind that I'm no small person.

It's been rough to train for, since searing heat has been pounding the Bluegrass region over the last month.  It's also really early in the morning... for me.  Regardless, I was successful, so now I can take a day or two off.

I really think ZUMBA has helped me gain the endurance to run further and faster over the past year, so now I just have to break the 30-minute curse.

Happy Dancing,
~RoB

1 comment: