Thursday, April 12, 2012

Krispy Kreme Challenge Trial #2

This morning, the Resource Development Coordinator (a fellow Michigan Alum) for Lexington's Habitat for Humanity who originally notified me of the upcoming fundraising Krispy Kreme Challenge 5k was dressed as a Krispy Kreme on Facebook.  It motivated me to have one more practice trial before this Sunday's race.  I decided to up the ante to 9 donuts, in preparation for the full 1-dozen I will have to consume at the race.

Doesn't this get your juices flowing, too? Juices = saliva.
Yes, I've already had one trial.  Why not take advantage of the Krispy Kreme right down the road from me.?!  I also fixed the previous route to make it a perfect 5k, with Krispy Kreme exactly in the middle.  By the way, Google Maps doesn't exactly know where Krispy Kreme is in Lexington.  Luckily, I do.  I added a little detour through the Lowe's parking lot behind Krispy Kreme, which totally wasn't awkward.  Not at all...


Here's how it went last time (which ended up only being 2.66 mi and explains the speedy times [for me, at least]):

Here's how it went today (still with great running times compared to my recent past):



The first thing I'd like to point out is the consistency in being served donuts in 2 minutes (to the second) at the local Krispy Kreme.  They've never yet accepted my clear order of exactly 6 or exactly 9 donuts without trying to upsale me.  It's ok.  I understand.  However, we're wasting time on my stopwatch.

Also, I ate 3 more donuts in only 20 more seconds.  How?  I came up with a strategy.  I didn't have any water available, though I've heard that's what some of the real runners use.  Instead, I used my fairly strong hands to compress each donut as small as possible before I shoved it into my pie-hole.  My cheek muscles got tired around the 7th donut, but I doubt there's a much more efficient way to consume them quickly.

Finally, though the time isn't as impressive as the shorter distance, I'm still running a 5k in less time than my previous two 5k races.  That's exciting, because it means I may actually be getting something out of this ridiculous training.  There's a good chance that the next 5k I run may be in under 30 minutes, crossing off one of my 30 goals to accomplish before I turn 30.

There's still time to register at the lower rate, so come join me.  Unlike most races, this has the aspect of being ridiculous from the on-set, so it's dramatically less pressure to perform well.  If you can finish it, coming in at any time, without vomiting, then you've truly won.

Here's to hoping that you also find something that motivates you this month!

Happy Dancing,
~RoB

No comments:

Post a Comment