Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Krispy Kreme Challenge

Not only did I complete the Krispy Kreme Challenge, but I ended up in the Overall Top 20.  That's right, 33:23!  I was less than 3 minutes from being in the Top 10.  I couldn't be more proud.  I've never done that well in any kind of foot race.  I may have never done that well in anything (besides academics and high school tennis).  I think I've found my calling.

My secret:  my ability to eat donuts quickly.  I'm running a 5k at a solid 30-minute pace.  I came into the donut station at the halfway point just under 15 minutes.  Most of my fellow challengers had beat me there.  I was into my 3rd donut when I heard a large applause from people watching.  The first person to finish their donuts was just now leaving.  'Just now?' I thought.  Then I watched about 5 more people finish and take off sprinting before I had shoved all of my donuts in my mouth.

Me in the shade eating donuts quickly, stomach expanding.
I was blown away by how slowly everybody ate their donuts.  I thought it was going to be intense.  Don't get me wrong, there were water strategies, and the 'hamburger' strategy (compress 3 together on top of each other and eat them like a sandwich), but I stuck to the strategy I discovered in my last run.  I was one of the first 10 people to finish and take back off.  It was the first time in my life that I could be proud of the speed and volume of food that I can consume.

At the finish line. Yelow bib = ate the donuts. White bib = just running.
I watched a few people pass me as I was running back, keeping a tally in my head.  I rounded the last turn, sprinted to the finish line, and scurried off to find my girlfriend where she was watching from the side with our dog.  I told her that I was pretty sure that I was in the top 20.  She agreed, since she had seen only a few people with yellow bibs pass before me.

I finished.  I came in under 34 minutes, which was a time that I set for myself the day before.  I didn't vomit, and I rocked those big sunglasses for the whole distance.  Now I have to finish a regular 5k in under 30 minutes, since it is one of my big goals.  This event was such a great motivator for getting me back into my running shoes, and such a great way to raise money for Lexington's Habitat for Humanity.

Here's to hoping you find some motivation this month, too.  It's likely that my next race will be Jean Farris' inaugural  5k.  I'll keep you posted, so you can come join me.

Happy Dancing,
~RoB

No comments:

Post a Comment