Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Think About Health, Not Weight

I was talking to a circle of ladies after class the other day.  Of the 3 of them, one had lost 13 lbs in the 7 weeks since she started taking Zumba classes.  That's amazing!  However, of the other two, one hadn't lost a single pound, and one said she actually gained 2 lbs in the same amount of time.  This got stuck in my head.  It wasn't until later that night when I was showering that a response came into my head that I wish I would have said at that very moment:

"Think About Health, Not Weight."

The truth is, I've been doing Zumba for years now.  And if we're being honest, I've lost very little weight.  Maybe 10 lbs, on a good day, over that very large span of time.  I still have a tummy.  HOWEVER, I'm dramatically healthier.  I don't have flabby arms that wiggle anymore.  My legs are rock solid.  I have the endurance to rock out for an entire hour of Zumba (more, actually).  My blood pressure has gone down.  I'm running faster.  And, I feel better about myself.

The truth is that all of our bodies will react differently.  The woman who gained weight could have gone down a size in her clothes, and replaced some fat in her body with muscle.  Same thing goes for the person with no net loss.


Diet has a huge effect on your weight.  Amount of exercise is also important (especially if you're only hitting the gym once a week for a Zumba class).  So, if you're really worried about that number on the scale (which you shouldn't be), then start by making a small change in your diet for the better and add 30 minutes of exercise to your daily routine.  Don't think you have time for that?  You do.  Nobody said it would be easy.  And please, PLEASE, don't weigh yourself more than once or twice a week.  It's not healthy (psychologically or emotionally).


Or, you can forget about the scale, and just concentrate on being healthier, whenever possible.  That's a goal you can feel better about, and you'll be surprised to see your mood become more positive, and that scale start heading in the right direction.

Don't ever think you're not progressing.  As long as you're having fun, a great Zumba workout is worth it.

Happy Dancing,
~RoB

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree. Although I've been exercising for years, I tend not to pay as much attention to the scale. It's how I feel and look in clothes. Even after teaching Zumba for over a year, I still have flab. I don't have a 6 pack. But I've had 2 c-sections with both kiddos. My body has been through a lot. But, I am a work in progress. My muscles are strong and my abs very tight (under a little flub). And eventually, I will get there :) Happy Dancing!!

    ReplyDelete